AJ T. Cole | Technical Writer & Communications Director
Enabling the achievement of full business potential through comprehensive communications and technical writing leadership.
Proven success in creating dynamic content, cultivating impactful brand presence, and building meaningful, sustainable partnerships. Commendable background in leveraging C-suite-ready capabilities in operational/communications planning, crisis communications, reputation management, and key decision/policy making. Demonstrated experience in writing, editing, and proofreading technical documents. Expertise in translating research into content specifications and increasing readers’ understanding. Creative professional with notable success in leading the execution of strategic communication initiatives for a diverse range of projects by designing executive communication roadmaps and mediating conflicts. Deft at controlling the organization’s narrative, defining key messaging, boosting employee/client engagement, and mitigating reputational crises. Instrumental in building and leading diverse teams by unlocking the potential of individuals. Excel at representing organizational interests in community events and external functions. Proven capability to foster positive relationships with internal/external stakeholders, including C-suite executives, and local, state, and federal legislators.
ExperiencePPAI, Hybrid / Dallas 2023 – Present
Promotional Products Work Initiative Manager & Global PR
Accomplished communications leader experienced in global marketing and PR, specializing in driving end-buyer demand and advancing brand visibility. Proven success in managing public relations, strategic regional communications, field marketing, and overall marketing strategy for the Promotional Products Work (PPW) initiative. Committed to promoting the universal value and indispensability of promotional products, aligned with the visionary goals of the PPAI.
- Achieved a remarkable 172% increase in website engagement, demonstrating my ability to drive meaningful user interactions and enhance online experiences.
- Successfully boosted visitor traffic by 16%, showcasing my expertise in implementing effective strategies to attract and retain a larger audience.
- Pioneered the launch of the association's first nationwide sweepstakes, amplifying brand recognition and fostering increased member engagement on an unprecedented scale.
- Served as a distinguished industry representative, delivering compelling presentations on key consumer research at prominent industry and external events, elevating the association's visibility and thought leadership.
- Provided invaluable executive communications guidance, leveraging my strong interpersonal and strategic communication skills to effectively support and advise senior leadership in their messaging and engagement efforts.
Octarig Holdings, Remote / Dallas 2020 – 2022
Communications Consultant & Independent Novelist
Steer full spectrum of operations associated with preparing internal/external media releases for a diverse range of clients as a freelance communications consultant. Consult on marketing strategies, communication protocols, and other aspects of the client company's public image. Write on various themes especially on business by researching topics to give readers an expert opinion on the subject. Analyze quantitative and qualitative data to improve and adapt communication strategies. Propose innovative, transferable solutions tailored to customers' needs in corporate communication, institutional relations, marketing, reputation, corporate responsibility, crisis communication, corporate identity, media, and online marketing.
- A patient spokesperson for AstraZeneca.
- Serve as a fractional communications advisor to tech, health, energy, and safety industries.
- Function as an independent researcher and journalist with a keen focus on ethics, equity, and business.
- Projects include e-books, staff training guides, public/government relations strategies, white sheets, and general technical writing.
- Have established relationships with journalists across the country and am experienced at pitching media opportunities.
SAFE 2 SAVE, Remote 2019 – 2020
Head of Communications & Technical Writing
Provided expertise to senior management executives including the CEO, CFO, CTO, and COO on communications strategy. Spearheaded the overall operational activities of the communications department including leading cross-functional teams, such as graphic designers, social media coordinators, public relations, and government relations staff. Worked in tandem with the CTO to develop a continuous process for improving the app’s UI. Developed and fostered internal/external communications to align communications and sales teams. Refined the brand’s voice and maintained brand integrity across all platforms, media outlets, and company representatives. Established contacts with and successfully orchestrated efforts with subject matter experts, legislators, media, and the public to garner attention and influence legislative change.
- Worked with the City of Houston, TXDOT, and state legislative offices to influence public policy based on economic impact research.
- Created and implemented HR manuals and business training materials.
- Developed internal project management systems for myself and the coms department to efficiently prioritize projects and expectations.
- Drafted technical sales proposals and created an internal excel-based quote calculator.
- Played a pivotal role in consistently training the sales staff to enhance productivity and business.
- Promoted the brand from a state brand to a brand with a nationwide presence.
- Re-built the communications department and established processes for approving and tracking projects in addition to assigning priorities.
- Set up, and managed the implementation of ClickUp project management including company-wide training from c-suite to staff.
- Established standard operating practices for every role within the company including c-suite executives and proactively managed project priorities to improve departmental efficiencies.
Adhere Creative, Remote / Houston 2018 – 2019
Director of Accounts & Strategist
Directed the account management team and cultivated relationships with existing clients. Partnered with clients at executive c-suite levels to support in defining agreed KPIs and financial goals by acting as the first point of contact. Developed strategies to grow the client base and ensure that the team provided quality, cost-effective services. Proactively identified client needs and collaboratively generated innovative ideas, and strategically advised clients. Focused on customer retention, revenue growth, and relationship growth to measure the success of clients’ portfolios. Cultivated and nurtured the teams that developed long-lasting relationships with clients.
- Accomplished in maintaining a 100% success rate for contract renewals.
- Created and formulated department SOPs and ensured team members adhered to company processes and procedures.
- Monitored and reported marketing team progress on monthly goals and provided suggestions for enhancing performance.
- Achieved consensus on marketing objectives and worked with client leadership to set yearly marketing operational budgets.
Mouth Marketing, Remote / Houston 2015 – 2018
Communications Consultant & Technical Writer
Developed and implemented communication strategies that included media outreach and content creation in close celebration with clients. Produced high-quality documentation that meets applicable standards appropriate for the intended audiences. Managed the internal team staff, serving as the primary principal. Executed the research and wrote press releases, website content, video scripts, infographics, blogs, newsletters, pitch decks, and internal handbooks. Acquired and maintained a detailed knowledge of the client’s policies/strategies, and kept up-to-date with relevant developments. Facilitated the resolution of disputes with external role-players.
- Secured more than $5M in seed funding on behalf of clients by producing investor-facing technical content.
- Spokesperson, and communications advisor to c-suite clientele and worked closely with client executives.
- Guest lectured on communications at the University of Houston and the University of St. Thomas.
- Identified, applied, and secured hundreds of speaking engagements on behalf of executive c-suite clients at corporate firms.
- On-camera host of the BusinessMakers, HealthMakers, and EnergyMakers segments on HighDrive.TV - conducted journalistic research, prepped segment guests, coordinated the televised interview, and engaged with numerous chief executives and innovators as the on-camera host.
Safety Products Group, Houston 2014 – 2015
Marketing Coms Coordinator
Coordinated and executed a full redesign of two brand websites, meeting deadlines, following timelines, and ensuring uniformity of content/messaging. Wrote content for both print and digital advertisements. Maintained oversight of government and federal project bid opportunities. Oversaw SEO content for the different brand’s websites and advertising campaigns. Led public-facing and media-related activities. Arranged necessary printing and shipping of materials.
- Generated over $2M in new business inquiries from digital content and managed strategies.
- Contributed significantly to trade show booth design, logistics, staff management, and supporting communications.
- Developed marketing collateral for association programs and membership that aligned with brand standards.
Airgroup Radiant Logistics, Remote / Houston 2012 – 2014
Account Communications Manager
Directed communications for the Gulf Coast area. Managed the creation of marketing and communications collateral to ensure that it is consistent with the organization's brand, including white papers, proposal documentation, and more. Oversaw to satisfactory completion account’s logistical and shipping requests, maintaining direct lines of communication with stakeholders. Coordinated complicated logistics for trade shows and other emergency shipments.
- Recovered multiple formerly “lost” accounts.
- Prepared RFPs with a greater than 50% success rate.
- Advised all levels of logistics partners including the executive suite at major international accounts.
- Cultivated and maintained connections with corporate clients by delivering exceptional communications.
EducationIndiana University Northwest, Indiana
Accomplishments: Student Government Secretary, Think Tank Member, Winner of Diversity Landmark Award in the Spring of 2009.
Valparaiso High School, Indiana
Accomplishments: International Baccalaureate in History, Debate Team: Congressional, Policy
Additional Writing SamplesSales Marketing E-Book
Internal HR & Employee Safety Policy
Persuasive Sales Marketing Article
- Technical Writing & Proofreading
- Topic-Based Documentation
- Documentation Creation & Analysis
- Product Launch & Management
- Team Training & Development
- Communication Management
- Brand Awareness & Recognition
- Project & Program Delivery
- Employee & Client Engagement
- Crisis & Reputation Management
- Corporate Communications
- Campaign Planning & Delivery
- Public Relationship Management
- Technology Communications
- C-level Influencing & Advisory